Monday, July 27, 2015

The Patient Photographer

"People in Hancock are hateful. Full of grudges. I'm dying and they still are determined to make me serve time for crimes that are 20 years old. I paid my dues. You have a light?"

Thanks. Can't even use my legs anymore, except for biking. But their not going to see that. This may be my last ride in a long time--maybe forever. I served 5 years for larceny. I'll be the first to admit that I deserved five. It was based on repeat offenses. It got in my blood somehow. Family, probably.

That was my wife just now. One thing you'll learn. Women want security. Men want pussy. But if you can treat her like a princess she'll follow you anywhere. Most people wouldn't suspect it but I have my degree. I'm a working professional. After my five in prison I decided I wanted to make something of my life despite my upbringing--despite the cruelty of my mother, brother, and community. And I went back to school and got a degree in psychology. I've been able to help a lot of people because of where I've been. I been down some dark roads and sometimes you just can't counsel certain types of people unless you've walked that road. I know where most of these people have been and I've helped a lot of them out of dark places.

But you, no, you are going to prosper. I can see that. See that in the way you hold yourself. Utah is a hell of a ride and I wouldn't be surprised if you make it and then some. Sometimes you just get a feeling about people. I'm pretty good at that. I've seen so many in so many different places in life. But, I can see that you are going to prosper. You married?

It's like I said about women. If you take care of them, they'll give their lives for you. They're just built different than men. I have a daughter of my own. Teenager. She's back home with my wife. That was her just now on the phone. God I love her but its not easy. Even after all this time. But this judge, he's not going to consider that. My brother used to abuse me. Really mean stuff. Humiliating stuff. Sexual abuse. Physical. I remember blacking out on a regular basis. My mom never gave any credence to what I'd tell her though. She'd just say 'oh Jodie, stop making up stories. You're a big story teller'. My family were pretty low life people. Just like a lot of our neighbors. Sometimes I'm surprised I lived to be an adult. Come to find out later, my dad had abused my brother when he was still around. That's part of the reason I decided to become a counselor. I could see how this stuff gets passed around. People need help to find a way out.

I know as well as anyone that I made choices that put me in jail and I know enough about life as an adult that I can't blame my mom or brother or community. That's a message I have to convince a lot of my clients of. But to think that I'd have to go back to prison when for me the slate was wiped clean.  No drugs, no crime, not even anything petty in 20 years. I'm a changed man. I have a job and people who rely on me. And now the legs. And then this letter came in the mail just a week ago informing me that new information was made known. The judge has missed me. Wants me to do my fair share. Say again?

No, it's not right. But I'm not complaining. Life has a funny way of working itself out. I've learned that in the time since I've been out of prison.

I'm just grateful I can still ride. That is something. Its freedom. I did 68 miles already today. The legs are shit but they can still drive the chain. There's no cure you know for muscular dystrophy. I'll likely loose my ability to walk from behind bars. I'll ride to Cumberland tonight and then turn around for home tomorrow. When I get back, I go in for my hearing.

But that brought me to where I am today--not so bad really. I do love the bike. Its the only freedom I feel anymore. Muscular dystrophy is eating my legs away. You can tell right. Hell yes. Legs like this. There's nothing left but tendon and bone. I can still bike because I still can use my core muscles. But you saw me, I can hardly stay on my feet. And this judge down in Hancock, he's not going to consider that. People in that community are not quick to forget. He's got a grudge and he's going to give me as many more years as he can.

You want to see something amazing? That's a mother and two cubs. Ranger told me he's spent 25 years in the Appalachia and he's never seen one. They're so rare here in the appalachia any more. Sometimes I get lucky. Couple months back, I took this one. Now how many people can say they've even heard of an albino deer let alone see and take a picture of one. I sat in a field for 3 hours and got the surprise of my life when that thing came walking out. And I can tell you, that's just scratching the surface. When I sit still, things just come to me. Uncanny things, most of which I've got pictures of. Sell?

No. I mean, I'd like for people to see what pictures I've taken but I don't want to sell. It's just hobby that I'm damn good at. People have told me that. And I know people. Like I said, I can see it in you. Those strong legs. This exodus to Utah. Yeah, your going to prosper. I can see that like a painting."

https://www.flickr.com/people/jodypatton/

No comments: